Sunday, September 16, 2012

Why The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes Pt. I



           You know why the angels wanna wear my red shoes???  It ain’t because I’m as awesome as I think I am...  It’s because I have been surrounded by the most awesome people that I can ever imagine having in my corner at any given time…

            I am the creation of the two most polar opposite folks on the face of the planet.  Yet, I have acquired the greatest attributes that either one of my folks could offer.  We’re all here as a product of our parents, and all of our parents have at least some good things to offer for us to carry on in our lives.  I just happen to be lucky enough to be one of the ones that have a lot to be thankful for from my folks going forward, even if one is as far north and the other is as far south as far as personalities go.

            My sense of humor has gotten me through a lot of rough times, and I have had to have gotten it from both of my parents right?  I grew up watching old reruns of Saturday Night Live on Nick at Nite, and Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and Steve Martin comedy specials as a kid with both mom during the week and dad on the weekends (more on all this in later posts I'm sure).  I also got the new live episodes of SNL on the weekends with dad back in the 90's.  I’m really not sure what this provided me with throughout my childhood except that maybe it showed me that all of the crap that was going on around me in my own immediate circle, as well as the larger world around me maybe wasn’t so drastic as it was being made out to be.  There was always room to laugh.  I just wrote about my Aunt Vickie, and she would have definitely backed me up on this point.  There is always time to laugh, even if your parents don’t like each other most of the time.

            My dad is one of the most laid back fellows that you will ever have the good fortune of coming across.  He is a zen-farmer.  I thank my lucky stars for this.  He is not rattled.  You could walk up to him and tell him that the moon just swallowed the sun and he would say, “well, that’s not going to be good for the crops this year…”  And he probably wouldn’t even say it.  He would probably just think it and if you are lucky to know him well enough, (few are) you would just know that that is what he is thinking.  I am very lucky to be able to let things do a summersault off of my back most of the time, and I can’t help but think it is because my pops is a literal poster boy for calmly taking in life, no matter the circumstances.

            My momma really likes dogs.  She likes dogs a lot.  She rescues them.  She rescues a lot of them.  I once told her that she couldn’t rescue them all.  She said, “I get mad when people tell me that.  I know I can’t rescue them all, but I can rescue all that I can.”  She’s compassionate as shit.  I don’t mean that literally because shit isn’t something that we equate as being very compassionate.  I say that because when you are compassionate enough to take in as many animals as you possibly can, to save them from euthanasia, poor conditions, or whatever other circumstances could possibly trouble them, you become compassionate enough to put up with a lot of literal shit in your yard, garage, and floor.  She has no problem with this.  I get my drive to help those of the two and four legged variety from my mother, and I know in my heart that this is something that will be invaluable to me for as long as I live.

            We’re all a product of the chromosomes that spit us out, no matter how much or less we like to admit it.  I am surrounded by so many wonderful people in my life, (including my beautiful girlfriend veronica who I will write to and about for many years to come I am sure) and those are the people that have shaped me and they are the reason that the angels wanna wear my red shoes…My parents are just part of the reason, and I love both of them very much.  Step-parents, aunts, uncles, bros, sis’s, cousins, grandparents, and friends from all over are all part of the equation too…for all of us.

Pearl Jam Rocks!

-Luke

PS:  If you’re reading this, check back, because I’m going to keep updating...Even if no one reads it.  So if you’re not reading this then fuck off.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment